Sports are an important element in UK University life. Much to the chagrin of stodgy ‘old-timers’ who eschew such “nonsense”, sports and club activities that Universities offer are becoming a bigger and bigger factor to students when considering which University to attend.
The British Universities Sports Association (BUSA), British Universities and College Sport (BUCS), as well as a universal polling of 16,000 students have ranked the Top Sporty Universities in the UK. Factors considered in their ranking included the range of organized sports teams, clubs and facilities open to all levels; and Universities where sport is a large part of uni life.
Their collective finding of these top sports universities include:
– their facilities were used as a training base and official preparation camp for Team GB in preparation for the London 2012 Olympic games.
Mary’s University, Twickenham
– they have over 20 sports clubs, with top class sports facilities which include a new state-of-the-art gymnasium.
University of Bath
– they have over 48 sports clubs, and offer 3 undergrad programmes in sport.
University of Stirling
– designated as “Scotland’s University for Sporting Excellence”; has 43 sports clubs; facilities include a 50m swimming pool and indoor tennis centre.
– 90% of their students take part in sports on a regular basis; features pro coaching in 10 sporting disciplines and part-time coaches in many others.
Leeds Metropolitan University
– has 49 sports clubs; their sports facility at Carnegie Sports Centre includes the athletic centre, bouldering wall, a gym, and a sports arena.
– Sports Central facility opened in 2010; runs over 40 different sports clubs; students have the opportunity to become qualified as sports coaches.
Harper Adams University
– facilities include a swimming pool, all weather sports pitch, shooting ground and bowling green.
Cardiff Metropolitan University
– they have a range of specialist facilities such as strength and conditioning rooms.
For sporting fans that really want to get into the spirit of the contests, they can easily find some of their favourite team’s apparel at Canterbury where there is a wide variety of men’s, women’s, and junior jerseys, rugby essentials, and just about every other imaginable garment and accessory. All this, as well as Training gear, can be shopped for and purchased here. England and Ireland jerseys and gear are prominently featured. And visitors to the site can access the Sponsorships pages, where they can learn about clubs from all over the world.