Wednesday 26th April 2017,

NUS condemns violent actions of “rogue protestors” for undermining the message of 50,000

Young Academic can bring you news of perhaps the most significant day in modern times for UK students…

Around 50,000 students, lecturers and members of the general public took part in what is being labelled as the biggest student demonstration in a generation, jointly organised by NUS and the University and College Union (UCU).

The march covered a route pre-approved by police from Horse Guards Avenue to a rally outside the Tate Britain where protestors heard from UCU General Secretary Sally Hunt, NUS president Aaron Porter and TUC deputy general secretary Frances O’Grady.

At a rally on Milbank outside the Tate Britain, protestors heard from UCU General Secretary Sally Hunt, NUS president Aaron Porter and TUC deputy general secretary Frances O’Grady.

UCU general secretary, Sally Hunt, told demonstrators: “I am here today to send a message to the politicians at Westminster. It isn’t fair to make our public universities the most expensive in the world. It isn’t progressive to discourage young people from going to college. And it isn’t just to ask the next generation to pay for others’ mistakes. Over the next four years while college grants are cut and tuition fees triple, big business will get £8bn in tax giveaways from the government.

“Some in our government seem to think they can spin their way out of their election commitments. So far they’ve called the increase in the cost of university everything but what it is. They’ve called it a fee, a tax, a loan and now a contribution. But the simple truth is it’s not any of those things. It’s a debt. A civilised society recognises the importance of education. It’s time for politicians to recognise that education is an investment in all our futures not a millstone around our necks.”

Aaron Porter told the crowd: “We have taken to the streets of London in unprecedented numbers today on the biggest student demonstration this century to tell politicians that enough is enough. We will not tolerate the previous generation passing on its debts to the next, nor will we pick up an eye-watering bill to access a college and university education that was funded for them.

“I will tell you today that we will not tolerate politicians’ broken promises. We will not tolerate them pulling up the drawbridge on the next, denying our brothers and sisters the opportunity to study at college or university.”

“This Government is abdicating its responsibility to fund the education and skills provision we desperately need just as every other country is investing in its future. We cannot and will not accept that miserable vision for our future. These short-sighted and self-defeating cuts to colleges and universities must be resisted, they will be resisted, and that resistance begins today.”

To see photos of the demo go to www.demo2010.org

Like this Article? Share it!

About The Author

Charles Whitworth is the Editor of the Young Academic publications. Graduating from the University of Liverpool with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism in 2008, Charles learnt his trade in newsrooms such as IPC Media and Sky. He has now developed as a top sports, music and current affairs journalist and has been printed in a range of publications including The Guardian. His interests include Cricket, Football, Rugby, Music and Current Affairs. Fresh from the editorship of Student Times he now takes the reins at Young Academic - the premier student news portal. Connect with me on Google+

1 Comment

Leave A Response