Young Academic can bring fantastic news for students around the United Kingdom as they can now save up to 40% with rental access to all of their university and college textbooks. As the UK’s number one source of relevant education news, we really can’t extol the virtues of this service enough as it could help to alleviate the deficit felt following the rises in fees and other student expenses.
CourseSmart is the world’s largest provider of eTextbooks and digital course materials so it seems fitting that they have today announced plans to launch their online eCommerce platform. The platform will enable students to save up to 40% on textbook costs by renting them online for periods of 180 days or over. Students will have access to the eTextbooks anywhere, at any time, from any web-enabled device including laptops and smartphones.
Students will be guaranteed that page fidelity will be maintained on all devices; this, along with note taking, bookmarking , printing and copying make this the ideal platform for digital course materials for university students.
‘Students across the UK and Europe will be able to purchase their digital course materials from CourseSmart in time for their new academic year as the eCommerce platform is scheduled for release in April 2012, so be sure to head over to the site and get your orders in for the 2012-2013 campaign!’
Founded by five publishers (Cengage Learning, Macmillan, McGraw-Hill, Pearson, and Wiley) in the US in 2007, CourseSmart currently serves over 2.5 million users worldwide and represents 90% of US core higher education course material.
CourseSmart’s eCommerce platform will provide all of the functions of traditional textbooks, enhanced by today’s technologies:
• Anytime, anywhere access to materials via www.coursesmart.com or through various mobile devices and tablets;
• Search function for topics within a single book or across an entire eTextbook stack;
• Highlighting and note-taking capabilities within the eTextbook, which can be easily recalled or searched;
• Page fidelity and preservation, mirroring the print edition’s page numbers, full text, diagrams, illustrations and charts;
• Ability to cut and paste as well as email sections, notes and highlighted text;
• The choice to print up to 50% of the eTextbook; and
• Accessible titles for students and instructors with print-related disabilities
Fionnuala Duggan, Managing Director of CourseSmart International, said: “The world of textbooks is changing. Through the proliferation of tablets, handheld devices, laptops and computers, the academic world is moving online and interacting with students like never before. We are very excited to be at the forefront of this evolution. The eCommerce platform will help students to save money, instructors to engage online, publishers to access a developing market, and booksellers to be part of this significant development in publishing”.